Monday, February 05, 2007

Toshiba-Japan 2nd Interview

Yesterday was my 2nd interview for Toshiba Japan. This interview is important because it would lead me to the final string of interviews and hopefully a job offer in Japan; assuming that I pass. The 2nd interview was a technical interview wherein we were to present our research projects to the panel.

Allan Gordon, my thesis mate, had his interview last Saturday, which is a day earlier than mine so I was able to get some info on what to expect at the interview. Since we are going to present our thesis, I have no need to practice. From eee190 up to the EECCE Conference, we had been presenting our thesis so I almost know it by heart.

The day before the interview, I just played tennis and even bought a new racquet (read previous post). It was only at about 12am that I started 'preparing' for the interview. I planned to bring my laptop and use our presentation slides for the interview. I just cut short the slides in order to make the presentation brief and concise and save them from all the other technicalities.

Just as I was about to get my sleep, I suddenly felt cold. I really felt that I was going to be ill. As I woke up the following morning, my throat is already burning. Since I haven't really prepared my things yet for the interview, I only ate an ube ensaymada along with calamansi juice and strepsils for breakfast. My time for interview was 1240pm, so I had to start commuting at about 11am; thus, I also have not eaten for lunch.

I did not bring the strepsils with me because it makes my mouth reddish because of the red coloring. At the MRT, I just bought bottled water to ease my throat pains. I arrived at Dusit Hotel Nikko at about 12am, almost an hour earlier than my scheduled interview.

One by one, other interviewees arrived. I got to chat with an Atenista named MarkWong who seemed to be a bit unsettled and not Atenista-like. Atenistas are stereotypically known for being open and eloquent. For MarkWong, he was the other way around. He says he is not even confident with his english; that he would be happy if the interviewer would be Japanese (also not good in English).

Another came, a guy from La Salle (I forgot his name). Mark and Mr. Lasalista knew each other because they are both reviewees at Excel. So the triad is complete, UP-La Salle-Ateneo. I don't think UST was among the invited schools of Toshiba. So I guess these 3 are considered to be the top 3 schools in the Philippines.

So, I got interviewed at about 1pm. There were 3 other people inside the interview room, a Japanese guy, a motherly Filipina, and a young Filipino guy. The Japanese is the main interviewer, and is involved in the software arm of Toshiba. The motherly Filipina seemed to be a head HR of some sort. I used the adjective motherly because it was very refreshing to look at her. She had a motherly smile and was really kind. The young Filipino guy is actually a Japanese interpreter.

The interview went well, I suppose. Since our thesis project was about Dual-Core technology, the Japanese surely could relate well. If ever I wouldn't be 'promoted' to the 3rd interview, I guess it should be because the position I am applying for (Design and EDA) is really out of reach. I mean, microelectronics education is barely starting here in the Philippines (a first for UP IML), and I may have no chance compared to other countries such as India, Japan and other technological countries. Just as I've posted earlier, this is an international hiring. But, just in case I could not fit for Design and EDA, I hope they would consider me for my other 2 choices which is PC & Networks and Technical Marketing.

One question that was asked to me by the motherly Filipina was "what do I prefer, software or hardware"? I answered Hardware. I hope they know that I meant hardware design/programming and not hardware as related to production/manufacturing. I hope I also don't get negative points from the Japanese who is a software guy. Another minor boo-boo in the interview is that I've kept on using the phrase "As I've said earlier". I don't know if using that phrase is right, I hope I didn't sound inappropriate. I just wanted to point out my previous statements that could answer their question.

My interview lasted for about 40 minutes. MarkWong, who had a parallel interview with mine, was not yet finished. I rushed towards home (dorm) as I feel so weak already. All the time, my throat was burning, good thing I was still able to attend the interview.

My immune system had been weakened, plus the fact that I have not eaten a decent meal yet. Good thing I did not collapse in the MRT. I have my laptop with me, and collapsing in the MRT would lead to its probable loss, hehehe. I dropped by again at SC to buy Tapsilog at Rodic's, then went straight to bed afterwards. I did not eat yet as I was too weak and I was already having a slight fever. As soon as I woke up, I forced myself to eat the Tapsilog I bought earlier. At first, I felt nauseous. I seemed to have no appetite then I remembered my Amoebic days. I forced myself to eat in order to regain strength. While eating I also took in some biogesic to ease my fever. Afterwards, I felt better. Thank God.

byouki ga arimasune. demo ima kimochi chotto yoku narimashita!
(びょうき が ありますね。 でも 今  ちょっと よく なりました)
I have an illness. Though I feel better right now.

Labels: ,

posted by ScIoN 10:03 AM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

ScIoN is a former Systems Engineer in Japan who specialized in industrial imaging and digital hardware design. He is now back in the Philippines pursuing graduate studies in Finance at the University of the Philippines - Diliman.



Tag



Links


|Argel| |Charity| |Cholle| |Danes| |Dean| |Det| |Dyan| |Elma| |Fil| |Jeric| |Joe A.| |Kir| |Liz| |May| |May & Glenn| |Nino| |Norman| |PaU| |Rex| |Islander| |Yugs|

comments

Recent Posts


My First Real Tennis Racquet
February Stars
I Feel So Busy
Room Mate
Engineering Job Fair 2007
Jeff and Dyan's Birthday Bash (and Bevan's)
Jobba d' Hunt (Interview at Trend Micro)
Idling
Janus
Recharging

Archive


July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009

Credits


[Powered by Blogger]