Monday, June 18, 2007

None of the Above

My previous post covered a brief overview on 2 companies that I could have worked at. All of us have our own decisions to make; whatever our choices may be, it should be supported by reason.

Between the two, I chose to work with SMART. One of the main reasons was that it offered stability. A good pay with an outstanding bonus, topped with full medical benefits, and other company perks you could get by working with an established company such as this one.

BiT Micro should have been my ideal company with regard to what my training as a Computer Engineer (Microelectronics – Digital) is concerned. They say that the work environment in BiT Micro is nothing different from what a typical UP EEE graduate had experienced. As of last year, BiT Micro had successfully hired most of the EEE graduates. In fact, BiT Micro became a ‘default’ company for graduating IML affiliates. Maybe it was the ‘UP-like’ factor that appealed to them. But for me, it didn’t.

When I had my interview at BiT Micro, I had seen many familiar faces I had encountered at EEE. Same old people; some of them were my college contemporaries. During that time, I was in formal wear; they were in their casuals. It was very evident that I was their applicant, and I felt like hiding then. I got delayed in UP for one year just because of 8 units. Soon I get to realize, starting with BiT Micro means starting with an already delayed career. Not to mention the 4 years of bondage, it was really hard for me to risk on something I am not even sure of.

This probably attracted me more to SMART. No recent EEE graduate had probably worked here before. There would be lots of new people to meet, new grounds to explore, and perhaps a territory to cover. It would be a refreshing way to start a career. The position offered to me doesn’t even have a bond. I may be able to transfer to another company some other time; either because of discontent or maybe for career improvement.

But just when I was all ready to work with SMART, I got stalled with the medical results particularly with my blood pressure. For a month or so, the over-the-counter pills prescribed by the infirmary doctor had not taken effect; consequently, I just had a full summer’s worth of vacation. Thankfully, SMART didn’t give up on me; that the job offered to me was still in place. All I needed was a lowered bp which a proper medication could easily fix.

Even during the time that I had made up my mind on SMART, I did not let go yet of BiT Micro or any other company that came my way. I still kept my options open. By May, I encountered a job advertisement from one of my yahoo groups. It was also the same job that was referred to me by a brod, that he eventually saw in jobstreet. What was wanted was a ‘Bridge Engineer’. 2 main skill sets needed that struck me: knowledgeable in VHDL/Verilog; proficiency in Nihonggo a plus (for Japan). Shoot. In fact, the whole job description seemed to be written exactly for me. Now, since this ‘new’ job was related to my field of specialization, the only question left was if it would be financially worth it. Could it match SMART’s standing offer? I guess it did.

Once, I had regretted for not being able to graduate on time. But now, I am very much thankful for that one year that became an opportunity for me to slow down a bit and contemplate on the future. Most of those who aimed to be ‘on time’ were busy finishing/excelling their remaining academic load that they no longer have the time to prepare themselves for the job fairs and attend as much interviews as they can. Upon graduation, they were still not sure where to go; thus, the tendency for them to grab the very first job offer they encounter.

I am grateful that I was given a choice. Given the fact that I am able to choose, it means that I am still in control of my life.

Labels:

posted by ScIoN 4:18 PM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

ScIoN is a former Systems Engineer in Japan who specialized in industrial imaging and digital hardware design. He is now back in the Philippines pursuing graduate studies in Finance at the University of the Philippines - Diliman.



Tag



Links


|Argel| |Charity| |Cholle| |Danes| |Dean| |Det| |Dyan| |Elma| |Fil| |Jeric| |Joe A.| |Kir| |Liz| |May| |May & Glenn| |Nino| |Norman| |PaU| |Rex| |Islander| |Yugs|

comments

Recent Posts


A Tale of Two Offers
SanMigResthouse
NBI Clearance
Day 2 2day
First Day High
DesiScIoN
Hitori 「ひとり」
Graduation Party
Graduation Day
After(College)Life

Archive


July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009

Credits


[Powered by Blogger]